- A Las Vegas divorce is often filed in the form of a Joint Petition for Divorce (NRS 125.182) when both parties agree to all terms of the divorce, including child custody, child support, visitation, and property division (if applicable) and when both parties agree to sign the divorce documents. A joint petition divorce is by far the easiest, fastest, and least acrimonious way to divorce. If the parties don't agree on all the issues, they could consider a collaborative divorce (a.k.a. mediated divorce). This avoids a court battle and save lots of money, not to mention angst.
- Both Husband and Wife must sign the documents in front of a notary (notary service are included with our attorney services).
- The resident of Las Vegas must sign the divorce documents in front of a Nevada notary. The other party may sign in front of a notary anywhere else in the world. If one of the parties lives outside the U.S., he or she can usually sign the divorce documents at a U.S. Consulate. They notarize legal documents that are to be filed in a U.S. court, whether or not the party getting notarized is a U.S. citizen.
- From the time we have all the signed documents in our hands, meaning the joint petition and decree signed by husband and wife, as well as the resident witness affidavit, it takes about one to two weeks to finalize a divorce in Las Vegas, worst case scenario three weeks if the court is extra busy or your judge is very busy. The average is 3 -10 days. If your spouse is not going to sign the divorce documents, see below to learn how to file a one-signature divorce (Complaint for Divorce).
| how do i file aN UNCONTESTED Complaint for divorce IN LAS VEGAS (one signature divorce) ?
- When filing a one-signature divorce, one party acts as Plaintiff (the person who signs the Complaint for Divorce), and serves the other party (we arrange the services of a process server for our clients) who becomes the Defendant.
- In some cases, the Defendant ignores receipt of the Complaint and does nothing, in which case the divorce continues as an uncontested matter. If this occurs, a Default is filed with the court on Day 22 after the date of personal service (through a process server) or after the last date of the publication of the Summons, if the Defendant could not be found to be personally served by the process server. All procedures are set by the rule and they must be followed in order to have the divorce granted.
- Once the Default is granted, the Decree of Divorce is submitted for the judge's signature. Once the judge has reviewed all the filings and it's been determined by the court clerk that process service went as per court rules, the judge signs the Decree of Divorce, the clerk files it or sends it to our office to e-file. It's when the divorce decree has been filed by the clerk that your divorce is considerd final, not when the judge has signed the decree.
- If your divorce proceeds as above, it is still considered an uncontested divorce as per divorce statutes in Nevada which
pertain to Las Vegas divorces.
| can't locate your spouse?
- If you cannot locate your
spouse, you may still obtain a Las Vegas divorce through a default process
whereby the Defendant (your spouse) is "served by publication." This involves attempted service on your spouse by a process server, at your spouse's last-known address.
- If the process server was unable to serve the Complaint for Divorce and Summons to your spouse, publication of the Summons in a newspaper, once a week for five weeks, will follow. This is considered proper service.
MEDIATION BEFORE FILING a divorce in las vegas
If any of the above questions have come to your mind, consider divorce mediation before filing your uncontested divorce. A collaborative divorce is the best solution for long-term marriages. It greatly simplifies your decision-making process and reassures you that you are making the right decisions when filing your divorce.
What a real client said about us
MADE EVERYTHING EASY!
Thank you so much Conexa for helping me process my divorce.
It really made everything easy for me especially with your very trustworthy company.
K.P.F. Las Vegas, Nevada